- The 3100A High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilator was first approved for use in 1991 and is the only HFV approved for early intervention in the treatment of neonatal respiratory failure.
- The scope of application was broadened in 1995 to include selected paediatric patients failing conventional mechanical ventilation. The 3100A provides the ultimate in lung protection by inflating the lung with a continuous distending pressure and superimposing very small pressure and volume swings.
- The 3100A HFOV is the standard of care in more than 90% of Level III nurseries in the US and 75% of the Paediatric Intensive Care Units, and there are over 3000 ventilators in use worldwide.
- The Alliance of Children's Hospitals, Inc. has awarded their prestigious "Seal of Acceptance" to VIASYS for the 3100A HFOV.
- The 3100B HFOV signals the arrival of the next generation of High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilators.
- The 3100B HFOV is approved for the treatment of acute respiratory failure in adults and large children weighing more than 35 kilograms.
- The 3100B allows the application of continuous distending pressures up to 55 cmH2O to recruit and normalize lung architecture while ventilating the patient with near deadspace tidal volumes for the ultimate in low stretch lung protection.
- A randomized, controlled trial comparing HFOV and conventional ventilation in an adult patient population with severe ARDS demonstrated that HFOV is both safe and effective and resulted in a 29% relative reduction in mortality.
Time is running out!
Since its introduction over 18 years ago, the 3100A provides market leading technology in High Frequency Oscillatory ventilation, and has established a reputation for outstanding reliability and clinical performance.
With the release of the 3.0 Ohm linear motor in 2000, we have discontinued making the 1.5 Ohm linear motor found in the 3100A. There are still many of these older 3100As working hard in NICUs around the world, but time is running out on their serviceability. Pretty soon replacement parts will be unavailable. Not to worry though. Units with a serial number of 311460 or higher can be upgraded in the field. If your biomed staff is factory trained, they can complete the upgrade in just a couple hours. If your 3100A is older (s/n of 311459 or lower) or you would just like new instrument, please contact your local CareFusion Representative.
Because of the enhanced performance of the 3.0 Ohm driver, new alarm board and a redesign of the air intake, there is up to a 60% noise reduction. Greater efficiency also translates to a cooler running driver which uses less cooling gas. In addition to running quieter and cooler, the new motor delivers greater durability, extending the scheduled service interval a full 50% - from 4000 hours to 6000 hours.